Care & Support Worker
Employed by: Visiting Angelz Care at Home, Paisley, Renfrewshire, PA3 2SJ
Responsible to: Lyndsey Todd (Operations Manager), Angela Magee (Service Manager)
Overall purpose of post: To provide support and assistance to carers and people with care needs. This will involve the provision of personal and social care, respecting confidentiality at all times with an equal opportunities framework.
Job Specification (Essential Requirements)
Experience in care work is desirable but not essential as a full and comprehensive supervised training and induction process would be undertaken. Competencies in administration of medicines for all posts will be trained and assessed by the provider in all cases, regardless of past experience in this area. Skills and qualities described below however, are essential to this kind of work.
Skills and Experience
- Empathy with those receiving care and their carers’.
- Good listening skills and sensitivity in giving emotional support.
- A helpful manner and ability to communicate with people in a variety of situations and from different backgrounds.
- Ability to give physical and personal care, e.g. toileting, washing and feeding.
- Willingness to help with domestic duties, including cooking if required in the care package.
- Ability to build relationships with families/individuals and help them to maintain their social links.
- Ability to work in a team and report back to a senior member of the care team any observations affecting the family/individual’s circumstances.
- Respect for confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to work alone, use initiative and be mindful of health and safety at all times.
- Good general health, willing to undergo medical if required.
- Have, or be willing to study for relevant SVQ qualifications in Social Care if not gained already.
Requirements are based around skills, experience and qualifications. You should have a SVQ award at level 2 or above in health and social care or be willing to undertake this during your employment. Registration with the social services council (SSSC) will be achieved in the first 6 months of employment if not in place already.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
To undertake the tasks specified in the care and support plan which may include the following personal and social care tasks:
- To ensure the good name of the agency and behave in a professional manner while on duty.
- Bathing in bed/bathroom/chair to include all aspects of personal hygiene.
- Assistance with management of continence of bladder and bowel.
- Assistance with dressing and undressing.
- Assistance with mobility and transfers.
- Assistance with feeding.
- Administration or prompting of medication following the award of competence as per induction and training purposes.
- Assistance with therapeutic programmes for rehabilitation and development as agreed with appropriate clinical professionals.
- Ensuring a safe environment for those who need constant supervision and help in accordance with Visiting Angelz policies, such as Health and Safety, Challenging Behaviour and Positive Risk Taking policies.
- Supporting the person with a disability outside their home.
- Assistance with getting up and going to bed.
- Assistance with appliances (hearing aids, spectacles, artificial limbs, leg callipers).
- Care of skin and hair, including assistance with shaving.
- Care of pressure areas and prevention of sores.
- Care of mouth and teeth, including dentures.
- Summoning emergency services if necessary.
- Provision of emotional support to the person with care needs and their carer(s) as part of the caring team.
- Answer the door, telephone and greet visitors if required as part of the care package.
- To read and write reports, take part in staff meetings.
- Attend formal and informal training opportunities to enhance understanding of service users’ needs and abilities.
- To adhere to the policies, procedures and guidelines of the agency.
- To report significant changes in the service users’ health and circumstances to the manager.
- To handle finances for the service user as documented in the care package.
- Domestic duties which are part of the care package.
- Making and changing the bed.
- Essential Shopping
- Preparing meals and washing up
- Pension collection and bill paying